CHURCH OF THE THREE CROSSES
Alvar Aalto, 1958
The church and rectory in the village of Vuoksinniska was originally designed by architect Alvar Aalto and completed in 1958. The buildings are owned by the Imatra parish, which is still the main user of the premises. The Church of the Three Crosses is one of alvar Aalto’s most internationally acclaimed productions and is part of the international DOCOMOMO organisation’s selection of landmark works of modern architecture.
The building historical survey was carried out in 2012–2013 to compile the data needed for renovation plan. The previous renovation of the church had been completed in 2007, but the structures still suffer from severe moisture problems. The aim was to examine the characteristics of the building complex to support the decision-making in the renovation planning stage. With the help of the survey, the church’s building-specific conservation objectives were defined together with the Finnish Heritage Agency and the Alvar Aalto Museum.
The contents of the survey consist of the origins of the church and rectory, as well as the history of the changes of buildings in terms of architecture, building technology, structures, and the yard environment. The building-specific examination extends to selected, most important building elements.
building historical survey 2012–2013
Mustonen Architects Ltd.
contractee Imatra parish