LOZZI AND LYHTY
Alvar Aalto, 1953
The teachers’ restaurant and conference hall Lyhty and the student restaurant Lozzi are part of the Jyväskylä University campus designed by Alvar Aalto. Lozzi and Lyhty were built in 1952-54.
Arkkitehdit Mustonen Oy prepared the plans for the renovation of Lozzi and Lyhty and the loose furniture plans in 2013-2015. The renovation included the replacement of the building’s technical systems. The kitchens and waste management facilities were also renewed. A new underground ventilation handling unit room and supply air stack were built on the south side of the Lozzi and a new IV machine room was built in the north side service yard. The accessibility of the building was improved, including the installation of a public lift. Computer modelling was used in the design.
Despite the changes of the 1970s and 1990s, Lozzi and Lyhty have retained their character and features. The main changes have been made to the kitchen, maintenance and technical areas of the building. From an architectural point of view, the series of spaces starting from the main entrance and ending in the restaurant hall via the brick-floored lobby and brick staircase is a remarkable and largely well-preserved whole. The former professor’s restaurant Lantern with its entrances, located in the upper part of the building group, is of great architectural value.
renovation and restoration, furniture design 2013-2015
project plan, principal and architecture design Mustonen Architects Ltd.
contractee The University Properties of Finland ltd.